Since I grew up with a lot of African mates, okra is a fruit (even though it’s cooked as a vegetable) that brings me some nostalgia, as it was included in some of the best African dishes I ate while growing up in Portugal.
If you want to visit Walmart or another grocery store near you, your best chance to find okra is in the produce aisle next to other fruits like tomatoes or bell peppers. Additionally, you’re also able to find canned or pickled okra in the canned food and condiment aisles.
In this article, I’ll show you where you can find okra (both online and offline), and I’m also going to share with you some plant-based okra recipes to do at home.
What is Okra?
Okra, also known as gumbo or ladies’ fingers, is considered a warm-season vegetable, though it is botanically considered a fruit. It is popular in the southern United States, parts of Africa and the Middle East, the Caribbean, and South America. It’s an essential crop in many countries due to its high nutritional value.
Okra has a mild taste and unique texture, and some even say it’s similar to eggplant. Inside the pod are small, edible seeds.
According to the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA), one cup of raw okra contains the following nutrients:
- 33 calories
- 1.9 g of protein
- 0.2 g of fat
- 7.5 g of carbohydrates
- 3.2 g of fiber
- 1.5 g of sugar
- 31.3 mg of vitamin K
- 299 mg of potassium
- 7 mg of sodium
- 23 mg of vitamin C
- 0.2 mg of thiamin
- 57 mg of magnesium
- 82 mg of calcium
- 0.215 mg of vitamin B6
- 60 mcg of folate
- 36 mcg of vitamin A
Okra is also a great source of antioxidants, with its seeds containing a variety of antioxidant compounds, including phenolic compounds and flavonoid derivatives, such as catechins and quercetin.
Recommended Read: Where to Buy Lemongrass
Which Stores Have Okra Available?
These are the stores that are most likely to have okra available:
- Amazon – Amazon is the best place online to purchase everything. There you will find fresh okra (both red and green), canned and pickled okra, as well as okra chips.
- Walmart – Alongside Amazon, Walmart is also a good place to purchase these items online. However, you can also visit their physical store, where you will different varieties of okra.
- Whole Foods – The best place to buy fruits and veggies in my opinion. Whole Foods has okra available, and you’re even able to find organic okra.
- Safeway – Check Safeway’s produce aisle to find okra. If you’re looking for canned okra, look for the canned goods aisle.
- Trader Joe’s – Trader Joe’s is another supermarket that sells a variety of okra products, though it may vary from one to another.
- Target – Target is a good place to find frozen okra (sliced), as well as canned okra.
- Kroger – At Kroger, you can find fresh and frozen okra.
- Multi-Cultural Markets – Okra originated in Africa and it’s also popular in other regions of the world such as South America and the Caribbean. For that reason, you have a pretty good chance of finding fresh okra at multi-cultural markets (African, South American, etc).
How to Find Okra in Grocery Stores
If you’re searching for fresh okra, the first place to look for okra in a grocery store is the produce aisle, more specifically, look for it near other fruits like tomatoes or bell peppers.
Additionally, you can also head to the frozen items aisle to find frozen okra. This one isn’t that common in most supermarkets, but you can probably find it at Target.
Canned or jarred okra can be found in the canned goods aisle, and the pickled okra can be found in the condiment aisle.
Recommended Read: Where to Buy Dragon Fruit
Great Recipes with Okra
Vegan Gumbo with Okra and Lentils
This is a healthy vegan Gumbo recipe with okra and lentils. Gumbo is a creole stew that is popular in Louisiana, and it typically consists of meat and/or seafood. To make a vegan adaptation, the author chose to use lentils, beans, and vegetables like bell peppers, celery, and onions.
Baked Popcorn Okra
This unique okra popcorn recipe is made using okra, chickpea flour, nutritional yeast, and plenty of other condiments such as cajun, garam masala, and southern fried spice. According to the author, this recipe is quite easy to make and it only takes 10 minutes to prepare and 25 minutes to cook.
Our Recommendation For Vegans
Future Kind’s Essential Vitamins: This is our favorite multivitamin. It’s not the typical multivitamin because it was formulated to specifically address potential shortcomings in the vegan diet. It contains the essential vitamin B12, vitamin D, and Omega-3 fatty acids (DHA & EPA) delivered in necessary doses so you don’t have to worry about potential deficiencies. Want to learn more about it? Check out the review we did on it.