Want apple cider vinegar but don’t know where to find it in the grocery store?
If you wish to find apple cider vinegar, you can find it in the condiment aisle next to products like salad dressing and ketchup. It is a pretty common product that can be found in every grocery store.
In this article, I’ll cover all you need to know about apple cider vinegar.
How Is Apple Cider Vinegar Made?
Put simply, apple cider vinegar is made by chopping apples, covering them with water, and leaving them at room temperature so that the natural sugars ferment and form ethanol, which is then converted into acetic acid by airborne bacteria, called acetobacter, to produce vinegar.
Vinegar should be made from apples that are high in sugar but not overripe, and it should be allowed to mature for several months to a year. Some people also recommend inoculating the cider with one part mother to five parts cider for a better-quality product.
Note that this is a very basic explanation of how to make apple cider vinegar. There are several things you should take into consideration before making vinegar.
Recommended Read: Where to Buy Tamarind Paste (Plus, Finding It In Grocery Stores)
What Stores Sell Apple Cider Vinegar?
Apple cider vinegar can be found in every store, from the largest retailers to the small mom-and-pop shops around the corner.
If you want to purchase apple cider vinegar, you can find them in stores like:
- Amazon: Considered the biggest marketplace in the world, Amazon is a store where you’re able to find literally every product, even something like apple cider vinegar.
- Walmart: Deemed as the largest retailer in the United States, Walmart is a place where you can typically find anything, much like Amazon.
- Kroger: Kroger is the largest supermarket chain in the US and it is sure to have apple cider vinegar available in the condiment aisle next to products like salad dressing, mustard, etc.
- Publix: Also among the largest supermarket chains in the US, Publix is an employee-owned company, and like all stores, it also sells apple cider vinegar.
- Whole Foods Market: If you have a Whole Foods Market near you, you can also head there to find apple cider vinegar.
- Tesco: This is the UK’s largest supermarket chain with around 4,000 stores, so if you live in the UK and want apple cider vinegar, Tesco should be the easiest place to find it.
- ASDA: Another popular supermarket chain in the UK, ASDA will also have apple cider vinegar.
- Sainsbury’s: Also one of the biggest supermarket chains in the UK, Sainsbury’s will also have apple cider vinegar in stock.
- Local Food Stores: Most neighbourhood grocery stores will also have apple cider vinegar next to products like olive oil and salad dressings.
Where To Find Apple Cider Vinegar In The Grocery Store?
If you wish to find apple cider vinegar, you will most likely find it in the condiment aisle next to products like olive oil and salad dressings such as ranch dressings, vinaigrette, and balsamic vinegar.
Recommended Read: Where To Buy Grape Leaves? Here’s All You Need To Know
Does Apple Cider Vinegar Expire?
Apple cider vinegar is self-preserving as it contains acidic properties that naturally extend its shelf life, making it a long-lasting pantry staple.
Generally speaking, apple cider vinegar can last two years with the bottle unopened, and one year once you’ve broken the seal on the bottle.
Apple cider vinegar does not have to be refrigerated. Instead, you should store it in a pantry or cabinet, away from direct sunlight.
Does Apple Cider Vinegar Help You Lose Weight?
Small studies suggest that apple cider vinegar may help with weight loss.
For instance, results from one human study indicate that apple cider vinegar has significant effects on weight and body fat.
The group of subjects taking 1-2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar per day experienced weight loss benefits compared to the placebo group.
However, it’s hard to have definite conclusions with just one study, therefore more studies are required.
Recommended Read: Where to Buy Marsala Wine & Find It In Grocery Stores
Does Apple Cider Vinegar Kill Fleas?
Apple cider vinegar does not kill fleas, however, it may repel them because they dislike its smell and taste.
It is not uncommon to see people covering themselves with apple cider vinegar when they go camping in order to avoid being bitten by fleas.
Some people also create a natural flea repellent by mixing apple cider vinegar with water.
Does Apple Cider Vinegar Need To Be Refrigerated?
No, apple cider vinegar does not need to be refrigerated, not even when you break the seal on the bottle.
To properly store apple cider vinegar, you just have to place it inside a pantry or cabinet at room temperature, hiding it away from direct sunlight.
Recommended Read: Where to Buy Rosemary (+ Find It In Grocery Stores)
The Bottom Line
Apple cider vinegar is a rather common condiment and is likely to be present in 80-90% of households, particularly in America and Europe.
Most stores will have apple cider vinegar in the condiment aisle next to other cooking oils and vinegar, as well as salad dressings.
If you don’t want to physically visit a grocery store, you’re also free to order it online via websites like Amazon or Walmart, and if you live in the UK, the websites of local supermarkets.
Our Recommendation For Vegans
Future Kind’s Essential Vitamins: This is our favorite multivitamin. It’s not the typical multivitamin because it was formulated to specifically address potential shortcomings in the vegan diet. It contains the essential vitamin B12, vitamin D, and Omega-3 fatty acids (DHA & EPA) delivered in necessary doses so you don’t have to worry about potential deficiencies. Want to learn more about it? Check out the review we did on it.