There are several places that have marsala wine in stock, with the most obvious ones being Amazon and Walmart, two of the largest retailers in the world. If you’re comfortable with ordering food items online, you can find marsala wine on Amazon for roughly $8 a bottle.
However, if you’re heading to a retail store or supermarket near you, then make sure to check for marsala wine in the condiment aisle around vinegar and salad dressings. Since marsala is regarded as a cooking wine, it’s unlikely that you will find it in the wine aisle next to finer wines like Pinoit Noir or Chardonnay.
In this article, I’m going to speak a bit more about marsala wine, where it’s available, and how you can use it.
What is Marsala Wine?
Recommended Read: Garam Masala 101: Where to Buy It And How to Use It
Marsala wine is a fortified wine produced in Sicily.
In fact, some wine experts claim that the one produced outside Sicily, is not real marsala wine.
Marsala wine is also referred to as a cooking wine and it’s commonly used to create nutty, rich caramelized sauces, though some varieties are good for sipping.
Marsala wine can be split up into different varieties based on the type of grapes and method used to produce the wine. Generally, the wine that is produced for cooking is low-quality fine marsala, but there are four more grades above fine, including: superior, superior reserve, virgin, and virgin reserve.
The most common flavors in marsala wine are stewed apricot, vanilla, tamarind, brown sugar, and tobacco, but if you get the opportunity to try high-end marsala, you’ll experience an even wider range of nuanced flavors like apple, dried fruits, morello cherry, honey, walnut and licorice.
If, for whatever reason, you’re unable to find marsala wine, then try finding the Portuguese Madeira wine as it shares a similar taste profile.
In Which Aisle Can You Find Marsala Wine?
Recommended Read: Where to Buy Lemongrass & Find It in the Grocery Store
You can start looking for marsala wine in the condiment aisle, where you find other cooking products, namely vinegar, mustards, olive oil, and other cooking wines like sherry.
If you don’t find it, the next best option is the wine aisle, but because marsala wine intended for cooking is very low-grade, you might not be able to find it.
If you’ve visited the supermarket near you, but haven’t been able to find it, then I’m sure the stores we will share with you below have it.
Where To Buy Marsala Wine
The following retailers/supermarkets should have marsala wine available:
- Amazon is hands down the best place to find items that you’re unable to find in supermarkets or grocery stores. They usually have everything, including exotic fruits. You can find marsala wine available for $8 a bottle, which is the cheaper cooking variety, but you can also find more expensive varieties.
- Walmart is the first place I would tell you to go to, assuming that you have one near you. They also have different brands of marsala wine, namely Reese and Holland House.
- Whole Foods is another option that definitely has marsala wine, and I’d also recommend that you check both the condiment and wine aisle.
- Publix is an employee-owned supermarket, and they also sell marsala wine.
- Safeway is another supermarket chain that has marsala, particularly brands like Pompeian and Holland House.
- Trader Joe’s does have Incanto dry marsala wine.
- Kroger sells its own brand of marsala wine, although you’re also able to find others.
- Tesco is a good option for someone that lives in the United Kindgdom. They Pellegrino marsala wine imported directly from Italy.
- Sainsbury’s is another popular supermarket chain in the United Kindgom, and they also have bottles of Pellegrino marsala wine.
Great Recipes That Use Marsala Wine
Tofu Cutlets Marsala
This delicious plant-based recipe from Eating Well starts dredged and sautéed tofu “cutlets” that are roasted in the oven, and a mushroom mix prepared on the side with marsala, vegetable broth, and tomato paste.
Check the recipe on Eating Well to learn more.
This marsala sauce is a comforting, satisfying, and creamy sauce that can go over your favorite plant-based dishes like pasta, quinoa, rice, or even bread as a dipping sauce.
According to the author, it only takes 10 minutes, and only five ingredients: marsala wine, vegan butter, garlic, mushrooms, and coconut milk.
View the recipe ContentednessCooking to learn more.
The Best Vegan Tofu Marsala
A wonderful recipe filled with taste, the Tofu Marsala is a mixture of a creamy, rich, flavorful mushroom sauce (with marsala wine) paired with tofu “chicken” cutlets served over pasta.
Learn more about this recipe at Crowded Kitchen.
Is Marsala Wine Vegan?
Marsala wines are usually vegan.
Unlike certain wines that are filtered using isinglass (a substance taken from the dried swim bladders of fish), marsala wine doesn’t use that ingredient.
Is Marsala Wine Gluten-Free?
Wine, in general, is usually free from gluten.
However, if you’re highly intolerant, you should know that some brands seal their oak barrels with wheat paste. But because wine is filtered so many times, the wheat is eventually eliminated from the wine.
If you’re in doubt, I’d recommend you contact the brand of marsala wine you’ll intend to purchase.
Fortunately, marsala wine is available in pretty much every popular retailer/supermarket.
You just have to make sure that you check both the condiment and wine aisle because marsala wine is most likely to be there.
If you end up going to the supermarket but don’t manage to find it – then I’d recommend you to buy it from Amazon, as you’ll surely find it available.